¶ 2 Leave a comment on block 2 0
¶ 10 Leave a comment on block 10 0
- One of SH’s mss, Kuwait 231, omits والمكروه .
- Some witnesses to the Maḥallī tradition have instead والفاسد , but a few lines later, when al‑Juwaynī defines the seventh legal value, they call it الباطل .
- Spr. 601 has فأمّا الواجب .
- SH has والمحظور هو .
- In Lbg. 256 the words يثاب على تركه و have been crossed out, and the words ويثاب على تركه have been added after يعاقب على فعله , thus reversing the order of the sentence and making this the only definition in which punishment is mentioned before reward. This correction, marked صح , is in a different hand than the other marginal corrections, and a repetition of part of the sentence in the commentary that follows reflects the original sentence order. The Maḥallī tradition and other copies in the Ibn al‑Firkāḥ tradition likewise preserve the original order. Spr. 601 omits the mention of reward altogether and says only والمحظور ما يعاقب على فعله , but the part about reward was undoubtedly included in the matn that Ibn al‑Firkāḥ had before him, because he commented specifically on that part of the definition.
- Spr. 601 omits the mention of punishment and says only والمكروه ما يثاب على تركه , but the Maḥallī tradition, other copies in the Ibn al‑Firkāḥ tradition, and Ibn al‑Firkāḥ’s own comments all show that the definition did originally mention punishment.